Welcome to S.C.C.T., the Saltwater Club of Central Texas!

Welcome to S.C.C.T., the Saltwater Club of Central Texas

Thank you for visiting our site!

The Saltwater Club of Central Texas represents hobbyists in the Killeen, Temple, Ft. Hood, Waco and surrounding areas. We are along the I35 corridor, centrally located between Dallas and Austin.

If you are new here, please register and introduce yourself. Any and all aquarium hobbyists are welcome to register and participate regardless of geographic location. The more the merrier! Tell us about your saltwater experience, and your current or pending setup, and feel free to ask any questions.

If you are already a member login and tell us what's new. We're here to help if we can. Club growth and assisting the reefing community is our goal.

Forum Club Membership Benefits Interested in becoming a sponsor? Registration or activation problems? Forgot your password?

Author Topic: ATO question  (Read 605 times)

alasg001

• 75 Gallon
    • FOWLR
ATO question
« on: October 22, 2017, 03:53:22 AM »
What brand of ATO are you all using?  How long have you ran that ATO system?  Any pros and cons?  How is its reliability? I'm needing one that can pump RODI water from a 10 gallon bucket in the stand underneath the tank straight into the fish tank above it.  I don't have a sump or fuge.  It will be going on a 75 gallon open top setup.

Faron

• Stay salty my friends!
  • Administrator
    • 125 Gallon
    • Mixed Reef
Re: ATO question
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 08:22:47 PM »
Hello there!

I'm running a JBJ-ATO.  It's been on my system since I started it up and has been very reliable.  It makes life so much easier!  No more thirsty tank sounds.  Just make sure you don't have your return line in your DT.  Otherwise, you may have a flooding issue.  Also, I have not had any issues with my ATO that I can recall atm. 

Mo

• Zoas and Beer
  • Administrator
    • 58 Gallon
    • Mixed Reef
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 06:30:05 AM »
 ::whathesaid::

The JBJ works just fine for me, going on 3-4 years no accidents.

If you have crawling inverts they might jam the floats up and make bad things happen.  Mine is in the sump and I don't have snails large enough to mess with mine.

The JBJ doesn't come with a pump so any pump strong enough to overcome the distance will probably work for you. I use a Aqualifter which is really slow, but I think that is what you want when compensating for evaporation.
58g mixed  |  29g anemone   |  72g bowfront   |  ALWAYS DIP NEW CORALS, NO MATTER WHO/WHERE YOU GOT THEM FROM.

ReefMedic68W

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 05:30:13 PM »
Iíve always used a gravity fed system.

My holding tank.... say 5 gallons fills up and then shuts off via the float valve. A line at the bottom of this ATO holding tank is then hooked up to another float valve in my sump thatís set at the desired water level. Itís never let me down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vu_Deezy

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 09:09:15 AM »
I use a Tunze Nano Osmolator, the float is pretty sensitive because of the magnet. I have to space it with a piece of cardboard. Depends on the thickness of the glass/acrylic. Other than that, it does the job. I've also used JBJ's in the past, not a bad ATO neither. Just make sure your output line is higher that the top off container and not submerged or else you'll get back siphon.

alasg001

• 75 Gallon
    • FOWLR
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 07:05:37 AM »
I went with the standard Tunze Osmolator unit.  It has been running faithfully even with snails crawling around it.  Happy so far, worth every cent.