Welcome to S.C.C.T., the Saltwater Club of Central Texas!

Welcome to S.C.C.T., the Saltwater Club of Central Texas

Thank you for visiting our site!

The Saltwater Club of Central Texas represents hobbyists in the Killeen, Temple, Ft. Hood, Waco and surrounding areas. We are along the I35 corridor, centrally located between Dallas and Austin.

If you are new here, please register and introduce yourself. Any and all aquarium hobbyists are welcome to register and participate regardless of geographic location. The more the merrier! Tell us about your saltwater experience, and your current or pending setup, and feel free to ask any questions.

If you are already a member login and tell us what's new. We're here to help if we can. Club growth and assisting the reefing community is our goal.

Forum Club Membership Benefits Interested in becoming a sponsor? Registration or activation problems? Forgot your password?

Author Topic: New to TX!  (Read 245 times)

ReefMedic68W

New to TX!
« on: August 24, 2017, 07:57:06 PM »
My name is Spencer. I'm new to Temple, TX coming from KY (and a 1 year stint in Boston,MA).

I've been in saltwater a little over 10 years now. Like most, I've had an array of tanks the last of which was a 180 gallon mixed reef pictured below.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little discouraged at the amount of traffic I see in this forum and wondering if this club still exists or is even active. Can someone fill me in? If it's not, what's the next closest active group? I'd love to see some local tanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mo

• Zoas and Beer
  • Administrator
    • 58 Gallon
    • Mixed Reef
Re: New to TX!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 04:55:15 AM »
I'd say it's still sort of active. Some old and oldish timers are still here, but the economy and the transitive nature of being a military community has taken it's toll. Add to that some closings of some local stores and it's a little on the dry side. Hopefully we'll get the energy back into the club when things start looking better.  I have some projects I'll be documenting soon and I'm sure others will chime in.

Closest other club would probably be Austin Reef Club. They hold semi regular meetings.

Regardless, welcome to the area and the club!
58g mixed  |  29g anemone   |  72g bowfront   |  ALWAYS DIP NEW CORALS, NO MATTER WHO/WHERE YOU GOT THEM FROM.

ReefMedic68W

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 08:40:39 PM »
I'd say it's still sort of active. Some old and oldish timers are still here, but the economy and the transitive nature of being a military community has taken it's toll. Add to that some closings of some local stores and it's a little on the dry side. Hopefully we'll get the energy back into the club when things start looking better.  I have some projects I'll be documenting soon and I'm sure others will chime in.

Closest other club would probably be Austin Reef Club. They hold semi regular meetings.

Regardless, welcome to the area and the club!

Thanks!

I'm not coming down for the military, though I've been in the KY Army Guard since 2009 as a medic.  Starting my transfer into the TX Guard soon. I'm a career firefighter who will now be without a job after this move next week! My wife will be at Scott and White... like the other 95% of the city, haha.

So, are there any people in Temple/Belton with some pretty nice tanks that they like to let people see or sell coral out of?

What are some of the "go to" stores within driving distance?

I'm debating on going full blown reef out the gate, or keeping it simple and just doing a large fish-only. With the temperatures in TX, I may have to invest in a chiller for the first time!

I'm in the Lakewood Ranch area. Temple/Belton line close to the lake.

I also like motorcycles/fishing if anyone rides or enjoys hitting up the lake!

Vu_Deezy

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 10:08:18 AM »
Welcome! That's a nice setup you got there.

ReefMedic68W

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 05:10:21 PM »
Welcome! That's a nice setup you got there.

Thanks!

That's actually my old one. Would love to do a reef with the new tank or a smaller tank, I'm just concerned about not knowing anyone in TX yet and therefore not having anyone to troubleshoot something if I'm on vacation!

Are you local?

Vu_Deezy

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 04:30:58 AM »
Lots of helpful people in this area believe it or not. I live in harker heights,  but work at the VA in Temple. If you need any help, just hit me up

Hellfish

• Black Beard Aquatics
    • 270 Gallon
    • Mixed Reef
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 06:41:48 PM »
Welcome to the site. That's a awesome looking mix reef you had there!

270 mixed reef tank

bfrench

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 06:10:02 AM »
As most have said, it's a mix.  Some (like myself) got too busy with life and still have an interest but aren't active.  To answer your questions, there really aren't any great local stores.  There is one pet store in downtown Temple that is limited.  Otherwise you're looking at ordering online or driving to Austin.  Austin has a lot to choose from, my personal favorite, if you don't mind the drive, is aquadome in South Austin.  They have a really nice selection and are incredibly knowledgeable.  On the North end of Austin you have Aquatech (mixed feelings on them) and River City Aquatics (mostly positive experience).  Just Reef was previously in South Austin, but I'm not sure if he's still open, owner was awesome and have a great selection of fish shipped direct to him from Hawaii. Austin Reef Club (ARC) is very active and meet monthly. Hope that helps.  I don't have a tank up and running at the moment, but the project is currently on hold in the garage while we make space. Drop me a PM if you have any other questions.

ReefMedic68W

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 05:27:40 PM »
As most have said, it's a mix.  Some (like myself) got too busy with life and still have an interest but aren't active.  To answer your questions, there really aren't any great local stores.  There is one pet store in downtown Temple that is limited.  Otherwise you're looking at ordering online or driving to Austin.  Austin has a lot to choose from, my personal favorite, if you don't mind the drive, is aquadome in South Austin.  They have a really nice selection and are incredibly knowledgeable.  On the North end of Austin you have Aquatech (mixed feelings on them) and River City Aquatics (mostly positive experience).  Just Reef was previously in South Austin, but I'm not sure if he's still open, owner was awesome and have a great selection of fish shipped direct to him from Hawaii. Austin Reef Club (ARC) is very active and meet monthly. Hope that helps.  I don't have a tank up and running at the moment, but the project is currently on hold in the garage while we make space. Drop me a PM if you have any other questions.

Messaged you!

Thanks for the store recommendation. Aqua dome was awesome!

^
anything