Welcome to S.C.C.T., the Saltwater Club of Central Texas!

Welcome to S.C.C.T., the Saltwater Club of Central Texas

Thank you for visiting our site!

The Saltwater Club of Central Texas represents hobbyists in the Killeen, Temple, Ft. Hood, Waco and surrounding areas. We are along the I35 corridor, centrally located between Dallas and Austin.

If you are new here, please register and introduce yourself. Any and all aquarium hobbyists are welcome to register and participate regardless of geographic location. The more the merrier! Tell us about your saltwater experience, and your current or pending setup, and feel free to ask any questions.

If you are already a member login and tell us what's new. We're here to help if we can. Club growth and assisting the reefing community is our goal.

Forum Club Membership Benefits Interested in becoming a sponsor? Registration or activation problems? Forgot your password?

Author Topic: Reef jar  (Read 159 times)

A.berry

Reef jar
« on: February 11, 2017, 06:19:33 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I just introduced myself in the "Welcome" forum but I wanted to go ahead and start my build thread!

I'm going to be building a 2 gallon reefjar as my first attempt at keeping a saltwater tank. Crazy, I know, but I'm a glutton for punishment I guess! I'm planning to keep it simple by setting it up along the same lines as done on reefjar.com. I have the 2 gallon cookie jar already and tomorrow I plan on trying to get a bag of love sand and some dry rock to start cycling. I'm going to get a bubbler and an ABI(?) tuna blue bulb in an architect lamp or possibly even as a hanging lamp, as well as an adjustable 25 watt heater. A user on nano-reef used clear rubber tube split and wrapped around the lip of the bowl to seal the lid but allow a gap to pass the airline and heater power cord through. I was thinking about adding a sump but I think I'll go without one and set it up the same as the other jars and bowls I've seen.

as far as livestock, I'm thinking I will just get some beginner soft and sps frags and let them grow, as well as a feather duster, a Pom Pom crab or porcelain crab and maybe some sexy shrimp. I've flip flopped about getting a clown goby or neon goby but I think I'll have to see how the jar looks after it's cycled. I've seen a cardinal in a jar online, but I don't know how happy I feel about one of them in such a small space. I'm also thinking a bit of macro algae to handle some of the nitrites in between weekly water changes.

So there's my plan! Any thoughts? I'm expecting some "you're insane" and like I said, I am, but I feel pretty confident I can do it. Anything I'm missing? Any ideas on more suitable livestock or varaieties of corals that would be a good starter? Thanks in advance!

image.jpg

Mo

• Zoas and Beer
  • Administrator
    • 58 Gallon
    • Mixed Reef
Re: Reef jar
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 06:14:52 AM »
You are insane. Just kidding. 

Once the fever hits you, you'll go bigger. You could come to one of our meetings and walk away with enough frags to fill it up and suddenly you'll have the need to get a second tank.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:22:04 AM by Faron, Reason: Accident »
 [You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login]   |   [You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login]    |   [You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login]    |  ALWAYS DIP NEW CORALS, NO MATTER WHO/WHERE YOU GOT THEM FROM.

Faron

• Stay salty my friends!
  • Administrator
    • 125 Gallon
    • Mixed Reef
Re: Reef jar
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 08:23:13 AM »
Interesting.  I kinda want to try one... :doh:  Can't wait to see what you come up with.