Welcome to S.C.C.T., the Saltwater Club of Central Texas!

Welcome to S.C.C.T., the Saltwater Club of Central Texas

Thank you for visiting our site!

The Saltwater Club of Central Texas represents hobbyists in the Killeen, Temple, Ft. Hood, Waco and surrounding areas. We are along the I35 corridor, centrally located between Dallas and Austin.

If you are new here, please register and introduce yourself. Any and all aquarium hobbyists are welcome to register and participate regardless of geographic location. The more the merrier! Tell us about your saltwater experience, and your current or pending setup, and feel free to ask any questions.

If you are already a member login and tell us what's new. We're here to help if we can. Club growth and assisting the reefing community is our goal.

Forum Club Membership Benefits Interested in becoming a sponsor? Registration or activation problems? Forgot your password?

Author Topic: Virtual outlets and outlet triggers  (Read 3276 times)

derrickh

• Retired
  • ']['exXxas']['itan
  • MVP
Virtual outlets and outlet triggers
« on: June 18, 2012, 01:52:22 PM »
I learned something interesting about the apex a while back.  I may have posted it on the old dB but anyways here it is again.

With the APEX you can create as many virtual outlets that you want.  For instance you can create on called SUMP_HIGH so if something goes haywire and the sump gets close to overflowing, a float switch can be used to trigger the "SUMP_HIGH" virtual outlet.  Being able to do this enables the virtual outlet status to be used as a trigger for the email/txt warning system.  It works like this because I did it...

I had turned on my RO/DI unit to fill the tank back up since it was murky and me and the GF decided to run to georgetown to pick up some stuff from home depot.  Well I forgot to turn off my RO/DI so when it got within an inch of the sump top, it triggered the float switch to to the "closed" state.  For my virtual outlet "SUMP_HIGH" its trigger parameters are set like:

Outlet name: SUMP_HIGH
If SW_1 CLOSED Then ON
If SW_1 OPEN Then OFF
(SW_1 is the name of the float switch at top of my sump)

In my text/email alarm settings I have it set to "If Outlet SUMP_HIGH = ON Then ON"

Once the float switch goes to the closed status, it turns on the virtual outlet 'SUMP_HIGH'.
Once 'SUMP_HIGH' is triggers to "ON" status, the email alarm sees that its ON and then turns "ON" the email/txt alarm system. 

Back to my stupidity.  The water level in my sump got go high, it triggered the float switch and immediately sent me an email and a text message warning me that the sump was going to overflow. I called my neighbor and he came over and turned off the water.  The beauty of this is, a pump could be put in the sump to counter act the rising sump level and turn on to remove water from sump and say put it in another container or have it plumbed into the house hold drainage.

Also I wanted a fan on my LED to turn on when the whites turned on but the problem is my LED never go to "ON" state, they only go to "RAMPUP_W"(this profile limits LED output to whatever % I set it to).  So I had to use the time method to turn the fan on and off.  Basically:  IF TIME 12:00 TO 20:00 THEN ON

I didnt like that so I played around.  Neptune said that this was my only option but I set this up instead.

Outlet: LED_FAN
If Outlet CENTER_W = ON Then ON

And bingo it worked! Its supposedly not supposed to work but it does.  Even though the "status" shows "RAMPUP_W" instead of "ON" the fan comes on only when my white led come on.  This way if I manually kill the whites for any reason, the fan doesnt sit there and run for no reason.  Anyways.  If anyone here decides to take the APEX plunge let me know, Ive learned a ton about these things and willing to help.
You only sound insane if you try to explain reality

texasrob

• SCCT Admin
  • MVP
    • 105 Gallon
    • Mixed Reef
Re: Virtual outlets and outlet triggers
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 09:49:37 PM »
Good info, stumbled on this with a google search on the World Wide Web.  Good info D
got it goin

derrickh

• Retired
  • ']['exXxas']['itan
  • MVP
Re: Virtual outlets and outlet triggers
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 10:07:15 AM »
Holy old post batman!  I miss tinking with the apex...could do all kinds of stuff.

"IF WIFE MAD then RUN"
"IF RUN=ON then DOGHOUSE"

hehehehehe.
You only sound insane if you try to explain reality

^
anything